Mackerel supplier can offer two types of mackerel fish: fresh and frozen. Of course there are still other products style including steaks, fillets, and canned, but if you open a restaurant business, then most of people choice will be fresh or frozen product. It seems difficult to pick between the two products because they are some considerations that need to be made when you decide whether you want to use fresh or frozen mackerel fish. That’s why today we like to help you decide which one is good for your restaurant. Read below for more information.
Choosing the best fresh or frozen fish from mackerel supplier
When choosing best fresh or frozen fish, you need to see whether there are local fishmongers or seafood markets or suppliers around you that can send such products. After you find reputable mackerel supplier then it is the time to decide which one you want to buy, fresh or frozen product?
Buy fresh or unfrozen mackerel fish
Purchase fresh mackerel from local seafood markets or fishmongers gaining more popularity nowadays. Of course, this option can be chosen if there are suppliers near your restaurant area. Before you decide to buy fresh seafood like mackerel fish, you need to read the pros and cons below:
- The pros for buying fresh mackerel fish
- It advertize to your restaurant costumers better than frozen mackerel
- You do not need to thaw the fresh mackerel before cooking so the thawing process is eliminated
- There is some opportunity to save your money by purchasing by-catch fish, unintentionally mackerel fish
- You can tell your customers that your restaurant being devoted to the sustainability
- The cons for buying fresh mackerel fish
- Fresh mackerel fish purchased from local mackerel supplier need to be used quickly or at least within 2 days.
- Fresh mackerel availability is seasonal, there is maybe one time that you cannot get fresh mackerel fish. Some factors such as shifting ocean temperatures, bad weather, and small catches can affect the supply of fresh mackerel as well.
- You will need to spend much time to frequently visit local seafood markets just to find fresh fish every day.
- You have some risk to purchase mackerel fish with non-sustainability fishing method.
- If the fishes are caught a bit far away from the markets then it is possible for lack of refrigeration during distribution.
Buy frozen mackerel fish
To be honest, there is nothing wrong buying frozen mackerel since the fish can be just as fresh and flavor as mackerel seafood from local market. However, you need to do some research to ensure that you purchase high quality fish from reputable mackerel supplier. In fact, frozen fish is preferred for most of restaurants that located far away from the coasts. Before you decide to buy frozen seafood like mackerel fish, you need to read the pros and cons below:
- The pros for buying frozen mackerel fish
- Frozen mackerel can be thawed and prepared anytime.
- The fish will not going bad too quickly and thus you can stock plenty of mackerel as much as you need.
- You do not need to visit local markets frequently and even every day just to find mackerel fish.
- With today’s technology, the mackerel can be frozen and preserved in its peak to serve best flavor.
- Buying frozen mackerel fish from vendors can be less intimidating than visit local market to find fresh fish.
- The cons for buying frozen mackerel fish
- There is some risk of freezer burn.
- Thawing process can take hours to be done if conducted properly.
- The fish can spoil if it thaw during distribution and if the fish touch warm temperatures and not being frozen properly.
- The frozen fish is not guaranteed local since they can be imported from various places and is not as marketable as fresh mackerel.
- The mackerel fish can comes from other countries which do not follow standards required in your country.
So, after you read those pros and cons when buying fresh or frozen mackerel from best mackerel fish supplier, maybe you can already make your option which styles do you want to pick.